Wednesday, April 28, 2010

I've Worked Out The Smile

It has been quite a day for Gordon Brown. Other, better people have already speculated on what the consequences might be, so I'm not going into that. But I was fascinated by Brown's response when he left Mrs. Duffy's house. Guido has a great screengrab of the smile he displayed here.

Why would you smile like that? A poster on Political Betting described it as 'the sort of face you'd see on a little kid who has just stolen his sister's ice cream and got away with it'. And it has long been speculated that Brown's smile is forced and put-on. However, I'm starting to become convinced that by forcing himself to smile more, it has inadvertently become his 'I don't know what to do with my face' look.

Remember this story from last July? It's exactly the same thing going on; Brown probably wants to look sad, solemn, serious but perhaps a bit proud and patriotic as well. Yet because his face has become trained to betray his emotions, this is what he ends up looking like.

No comments: