Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Assorted Nonsense

I'm going to do a little poking towards Guido today; not that he really needs the traffic. First of all, I'd like to draw your attention to his brilliant rebuttal of Hazel Blears's attack on blogs. Her attack seems to be based on the grounds that the political blogosphere in the UK is lead by the right and doesn't support the government. Guido does a far better job of demolishing her suggestions than I could, and his article is well worth a read. Note that her comments would seem to tie in with Peter Mandelson's mullings about bringing UK domain registration under government control. Spooky stuff.

Guido also draws attention to a video made by some Labour diehards/spivs. I won't link it here because I don't want to add the the number of people actually watching this nonsense. You can see it via the link if you so wish, and it pretty much consists of the usual snide jabs at the Conservatives. But the bit I found most interesting is how the video criticises George Osborne, with the captions: "Has a history degree" and "Once worked in Selfridges".

Now, maybe I'm missing something here, but why does George Osborne's history degree mean he won't be a good Chancellor? I seem to recall that a certain Gordon Brown has two history degrees - an MA and a PhD. And the current Chancellor has a law degree - an LLB. In fact, the only people in the Cabinet with any sort of economics qualifications are the PPE graduates and Ed Miliband, who studied it at a postgraduate level. I'm not saying what degree a Minister has is relevant to their job at all; this is precisely why the Civil Service exists. But some consistency from Labour wouldn't go amiss. And as for the 'Selfridges' comment, I trust we can take that to mean that Labour are now against people who have had ordinary jobs becoming Ministers of the Crown? Postman and shelf-stacker Alan Johnson might want to have a word with them about that.

No comments: