Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Job For...?

In all that has been written about the non-story that is 'George Osborne went on a yacht once', nothing has baffled me quite as much as Gordon Brown's comments today. At the end of PMQs, Brown said: "This is a very serious matter indeed and I hope it is investigated by the authorities." But who exactly does he mean?

In the same article, Labour MP Tony Wright, chairman of the public administration select committee - the parliamentary committee which would look into any impropriety- had this to say: "I am not sure which authorities Gordon thought he was talking about - the only one I can think of is the Conservative Party" and "we are not talking about corruption here, there was no corruption. We're not talking about law-breaking, there is no law-breaking."

Meanwhile, the Electoral Commission has said: "There is no offense in electoral law in soliciting a donation... no one has presented any evidence under legislation that an offense has been committed.''

Leaving aside the fact that Osborne has strongly denied a donation was solicited at all, their conclusion also seems pretty clear. So who on earth is Gordon Brown talking about? Maybe this lot?

2 comments:

Lord Elvis of Paisley said...

Computer says no.

Spooky indeed my friend. I'm tempted to say 'great minds' and all that, but I can't include myself in that analogy.

Have now added your site to the recommended read. 'Labour Bollocks' - like it.

Best wishes

The Raven said...

Mucho thanks!