Tuesday, June 03, 2008

And Then What Happens?

I'm sure you have seen this news all over the place today. I'm linking to just one story about it, but pretty much every news organisation is carrying it in some capacity. Broadly speaking, £12.5 million is going to be given to councils to divvy up between various projects which try to combat Islamic extremism. And let's be honest, that's where it's all going. The measures are supposed to be used for all faiths, but we're not exactly seeing problems with Hindu extremists, are we? This sounds all well and good; I'm all for stopping problems before they become bigger ones, and if evidence suggests that schemes like this can help then I guess it's sensible to try them out. But I'm still bothered by something that I haven't read a solution to anywhere.

I'd like an assurance, from Hazel Blears and Jacqui Smith, that any organisation that takes this money and then does absolutely nothing with it will be charged with terrorism offences. Taking money meant for combating terrorism and extremism without using it for such purposes is support by any definition of the word.

No comments: